I want to share with you an example that I hope will clarify "creativity" in terms of scoring. This is one that Stephanie Hobson has shared in the past but now I will endeavor to put in writing so that you can share with your team.
Three Balsa teams decide that their “theme” is Las Vegas and each builds a palm tree.
- The palm tree is made of a tube covered in brown wrapping paper with leaves cut out of green paper. It is very realistic and well made.
- The palm tree is made out of cereal boxes cut and shaped around a tube and the leaves are made of green paper covered with glue and sprinkled with green coconut.
- The palm tree is made of a tube covered with poker chips and the leaves are made of playing cards
Be the Style Judge; the team style sheet asks that you score the “Creativity of the Palm Tree” on a scale of 1-10 ?
- In terms of creativity this would score LOW. Creativity is not how well made something is.
- This would score MEDIUM. Essentially they used recycled stuff but they still used brown cardboard as brown bark and green paper as leaves. Sprinkling it with green coloured coconut shows that at least they had a sense of humour.
- This would score HIGH. The reason is that the material used enhances the THEME From a STYLE point of view EVERYTHING (script, props, backdrop, costumes – everything) should project and enhance the theme. So by changing their wording on the STYLE sheet, instead of re-building the Palm tree,
How could each team maximize their score? Ask your team for ideas and I will share my thoughts next week.